Friday, April 29, 2011

He Should've Been a Cowboy.....


A certain artist that I know (some of you will recognize him) took a painting trip down to the badlands of South Texas. There are bad things down there, some two-legged and some four-legged, and some no-legged.. the kind that slither along... As a sort of joke, he posed for this shot.  Never let anybody tell you being an artist is easy!  It takes a certain rugged individualism to do this kind of painting in the elements.
And believe me, in south Texas, there are lots of elements.  100+ degrees... everything bites, scratches, pokes, stings, or has fangs and tries to eat you.

He is a wild and crazy guy anyway, but this pose gave me an idea, so as a further kind of joke, I adjusted his
outfit.  This was just a quick sketch, for grins.. I probably spent an hour and a half on it... but what the heck, some of you might get a kick out of it.
For you artist types who read this, it is done in the transparent wash/wipe off method.  So no white paint was used, just wiping away the light, and adding thin paint for the darks.   I used an old scraped canvas. I had initially planned to add color, but decided I like it just like it is....



I think it suits him.  Maybe he really Should've Been a Cowboy......but then, I'm from Texas and think EVERYBODY should be cowboys.


2 comments:

Judy P. said...

Great, it looks like Stape!
An hour and a half- unlike me you have a day of life left after you paint (groan!)

Unknown said...

Judy, it was more like midnight to 1:30 am..... when I get an idea I have to go with it....
Who needs sleep?