Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Hope is the Thing


I recently read a wonderful little prose that keeps running through my mind.
I do not know the author, but it is a lovely thought worth sharing.

It's about hope.  And don't we all need more of that these days?  
Here it is:

"Hope is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the song without words all through the night, and never stops at all."

Somewhere, softly singing, barely audible at times against the din and roar of fear and weariness, is the gentle feather -soft flutterings of hope.  Feather-soft, but not fragile. For true hope in the heart is the fountain source of steely determination to go forward, to keep fighting the fight, to keep reaching for the good.  So, quiet yourself, and listen for the song.  

2 comments:

Kerri Settle said...

I remember that one from high school! It's an Emily Dickinson poem. It's a beautiful thought.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Kerri.. I can glad to attribute it correctly.
I like it so much, I'm painting it in a primitive sort of script and design for the guest room.